With ample resources and excellent opportunities, Chatham, Illinois is located just 8 miles south of the state capitol of Springfield. The Village of Chatham received its name October 22, 1836, and began as a small farming community, fruitful and thriving with agricultural potential. Today, the population has grown to over 12,000 residents and local businesses have reached a level of new progress and diversity. With continued growth in population, Chatham continues to expand its capabilities to meet the demands of its evolving community. Residents and visitors alike still enjoy that “small town feel” as Chatham’s quaint village square and beautiful parks and green spaces host annual festivals, area sports teams, and various community activities. Chatham’s Railroad Museum, built in 1902, is a local tourist attraction and historical landmark in the community along with The Sugar Creek Covered Bridge located just 6 miles east of the village, near Glenarm, Illinois. The pre-1930’s two-lane alignment of Old Route 66 meanders through Chatham heading south towards Auburn. The beautiful inter-urban bike trail also begins in Chatham and heads north across Lake Springfield along the old interurban electrical rail line, crossing over the MacArthur extension, providing a pleasant mix of rural and suburban scenery along the way.